How do we reduce wait times? Here are a few tips:
- Have fewer projects going on at the same time.
- Make sure that delivery teams are small. Big teams require more communication and more management, which is all pure waste.
- Ensure that delivery scope is super clear by using INVEST criteria.
- Deliver just-in-time.
- Deliver just-enough.
- Give people time to do the actual work. Reduce the number of meetings and general interruptions.
- Break work down into very small chunks, so that people feel and see progress.
- Break work down into very small chunks, so it’s easier to estimate and plan.
- Give people more time to do something than they’re asking for. The worst case is that they will take longer because something came up (they discovered more work, got interrupted, etc). The best case is that they will actually deliver early and feel motivated to get onto the next item.